It’s been 10 years since a new edition of APA style was released, and in the fall of 2019, we finally said hello to the 7th edition of the Publication Manual. Frequently the style of choice for students of psychology and social sciences, this citation format is one of the most popular on BibMe.org.
The staff at BibMe is in the process of making updates to our citation style library, and we will be offering APA 7 as an option in the coming months. While you wait, however, we are happy to provide you with a list of what we believe to be the most important changes in the new edition of APA format.
What’s new in APA 7th edition citation and reference list guidelines:
– Do not include the label “DOI” when making website/web resource citations.
– DOIs can now be made as URLs, i.e., https://doi.org.
– Do not include the format of the ebook in your citation, e.g., “Kindle.”
– Do not include the location of the publisher in your citations. e.g., “New York: Scholastic” would be listed as simply “Scholastic.”
-When making an in-text citation for a source that has more than 3 authors, write the first author’s name and
use the abbreviation “et al.” to represent the rest.
Example: (Fox et al., 2016)
-Do not include the label “Retrieved from” before URLs in a website citation.
What’s new in APA 7th edition paper formatting guidelines:
– Do not include the words “Running Head” on the title page. You now only need the page number and the
abbreviated title at the top of the page.
– “They” is now endorsed as an option for a gender neutral pronoun.
To find out more about the newest version of APA style, see the official announcement from the American Psychological Association here (BibMe is not associated with the the APA)
There are more than just APA resources available on BibMe.org! Check your paper for unintentional plagiarism and grammar errors, or check out our popular citation guides for MLA, Chicago format, and more!
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!